Humility: Thinking Less About Ourselves Not Less of Ourselves



Happy Sunday!

Don't you love Sundays? Sweet, simple Sundays are my favorite! I've been MIA lately, but making it a goal to show my face around here a little more. I got food poisoning a few weeks ago and one good thing that came from it was my desire to be unplugged. I literally had no energy to want to go downstairs and sit at the laptop or even use my Kindle. I did, however, learn a lesson in gratitude. As I've mentioned before, my church recently had our semi-annual General Conference. One of the talks that I loved was from President Uchtdorf entitled "Grateful in Any Circumstances" and it has really stuck with me. I know that being grateful leads to happiness. Why? Because when I am complaining, being pessimistic, etc. there is a tangible difference in my mood. Just ask my husband! :)



I can remember sitting in the bathtub trying to get some relief from the nasty feeling I had all over (but mostly in my stomach) and this talk came to mind. So I started thinking what I could be grateful for that day. "I'm grateful for my Mom being here to take care of me and the kids while the Husby was gone (lifesaver). I'm grateful for my sweet angel babies who let me lay around the house all day and play with them half consciously. I'm thankful I kept that tiny, disgusting meal in for longer than an hour." You know, the good things in life. :) There are always some, even if we feel we have to dig at times.

Anyways...that's not what I want to write about today. I just thought I should explain my absence a little. I may or may not have skipped the other part where I was totally capable, but lacking in motivation. :) The real issue that has been on my mind has something to do with humility.

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of humility? I think of love. I've been thinking a lot about what our culture focuses on: the negative. Now, of course, not everything is negative. However, I've noticed that quite often within our relationships we tend to share the negative stories or happenings of our lives instead of the good. It's almost like we are embarrassed to share that we are living a happy life because we don't want others to feel bad or to give the impression that we think we are perfect. I have done this! I noticed that I had a tendency to complain about this or that in my life if there was a pause in conversation or maybe because I thought I'd be able to relate better to someone if I did. It has been a goal of mine for some time to reverse my conversations toward the good. So what in the world does this have to do with humility, right? I'm getting there! :)

In another talk President Uchtdorf gave, he addressed a common misunderstading of humility and its true meaning. He said,

            "Some suppose that humility is about beating ourselves up. Humility does not mean convincing  ourselves that we are worthless, meaningless, or of little value. Nor does it mean denying or withholding the talents God has given us. We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves."


I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! It makes me think of Ammon in the Book of Mormon who, when accused of boasting, simply said he was not boasting of himself, but of the goodness of God in allowing him to use his God-given abilities to help others. Alma 26: 11. Look it up. It's good!

I think also of my sweet little two-year-old who will genuinely say almost every day, "I'm so good at doing puzzles. I'm so good at..." If only we too could become more like a little child. Not being ashamed to share the talents God has given us in fear of what others will think of us or even better what others will think we think of ourselves. Confused you, yet? 

Since I set my goal to complain less, talk more about good things and be more grateful in my conversations with others I have felt a difference in the way I view life. Sure there is tons of bad stuff going on and I forget my goal occasionally, but the good is like North Carolina pollen in the springtime--it's everywhere! I may cause a few people who don't know me well to think "Man that girl thinks very highly of herself" but you know what, that's not important to me anymore. 

I'd say my main motivation is my children. They watch me and listen to me even when I think they aren't paying attention. If I want them to grow up embracing the talents God has given them, being grateful, and not complaining or focusing on the negative, I too have to act this way. It feels better, too. Bonus!!!


I encourage us all to make a goal to only focus on the positive in our interactions with others this week. Even, well, especially within our families. Let's try harder to let our light shine and not to hide our God-given talents in fear of what others will think or in fear that we are not being "humble." It's those moments that stick with others and encourage them to find the Light. "Pure Christlike love flowing from true righteousness can change the world," said Elder Holland in this last conference. "Humility directs our attention and love toward others and to Heavenly Father's purposes," President Uchtdorf went on to say.

Be confident, have a grateful heart, and try your best to use the gifts God has given you to love others. He is smiling ear to ear and so pleased when you do. Nothing feels better than knowing He is pleased with the choices you are making. Sure we're not perfect and He doesn't expect us to be. Line upon line. "Perfect love casteth out all fear." (Moroni 8:16) When we feel accepted by God we need not the acceptance of others. 

Good luck this week. I'd love to hear if you noticed a difference in your life. 

Live to love and love to live!!! 


2 comments:

  1. Hey, I stumbled upon your blog through Instagram, prob cause we both like the small seed! I LOVED this post. it brought a tear to my eye actually- we shouldn't be embarrassed to share the good things in our life! Anyway, I am actually putting together a blog with a few other moms and I wondered if you might want to be a contributor? It's called mommy convos- conversations that inspire a healthier, happier home. Anyway, I could email you a lot more details- shoot me an email if you have a sec! It's jennicawoodbury@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I stumbled upon your blog through Instagram, prob cause we both like the small seed! I LOVED this post. it brought a tear to my eye actually- we shouldn't be embarrassed to share the good things in our life! Anyway, I am actually putting together a blog with a few other moms and I wondered if you might want to be a contributor? It's called mommy convos- conversations that inspire a healthier, happier home. Anyway, I could email you a lot more details- shoot me an email if you have a sec! It's jennicawoodbury@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete